Base salary and job outlook
- Median wages (national): $22,65/hourly; $47,110/annually
- Median wages (Missouri): $24.21/hourly; $50,400/annually
- Projected job growth (national - 2006-2016): Average (7% to 13% increase)
- Projected employee need (national - 2006-2016): 33,000 additional employees
- Attention to Detail: Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability: Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Initiative: Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Self Control: Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Stress Tolerance: Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
- Integrity: Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Analytical Thinking: Job requires the ability to use logic to address issues, problems and troubleshoot control circuitry.
- Independence:ability to direct and complete one's work with little or no supervision
Sample of reported job titles:
- Industrial Electrician
- Instrument and Electrical Technician
- Control or Plant Technician
- Electrical Repairman
- Electronic Mechanic
- Manufacturing plants
- Power Plants and satellite facilities
- Hospitals and other large public or private facilities
- Service companies that install and maintain equipment
- Chemical and research facilities
- Electrical construction
Additional career information
- U.S. Department of Labor
- Electronics Technicians Association International
- International Society of Certified Electronics Technicians